Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Valentine's Day Sweets: Brown Sugar, Pecan & Chocolate Chip Cookies



I'm very spoiled when it comes to food. I eat only the tops of my muffins. The crusts of my bread. And the gooey center of my cookies. I was trying to figure out a way to maximize the amount of gooeyness I get from cookies, and I finally achieved it by baking them in this heart pan with deep cups. I have a sneaky feeling they will work well with mini muffin pans too.





So... the cookies. I love chocolate chips in my cookies, but the standard chocolate chip cookie never really does it for me. These have caramelized brown sugar and cinnamon to give them extra depth. You have no idea how amazing your house will smell as you bake these. I also added some pecans for crunch, and the outcome was amazing. Plus they were just as chewy and gooey the next day.


Brown Sugar, Pecan & Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from here)


Ingredients:

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup pecans

Directions:

In a medium-large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until melted. Add the dark brown sugar and granulated sugar and stir until the sugars are dissolved and begin to smell nutty. Turn off the heat, and put the saucepan in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. 

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the saucepan from the refrigerator and whisk in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.

Fold in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon with a wooden spoon. Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans slowly. 

Spray the wells of the baking pan with a cooking spray. Place the cookies using a spoon. Chill for 1 hour. 

Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, checking from 15 minutes on. They are ready when the tops are golden brown.

Push the cookies off from the cups with the help of a wooden spoon. Remove the bottom layer and serve. 

Happy Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment