Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Oscars Party: "Lincoln" Inspired "Old Abe" Cocktail



When I started researching the likes and dislikes of Abraham Lincoln, I was disappointed to find out that he wasn't much of an eater or a drinker. It seems like he grazed through his day, and food was an afterthought. I really wanted to make an old-fashioned cocktail to reflect the era, so I had to do a bit of research to find out what was popular during Lincoln's term. After some time spent on the web, I found out that Kentucky Bourbon became popular during the Civil War (source) , and Gen. Ulysses S. Grant was famous for his love for the spirit. There is a Lincoln quote, which was believed to be said in defense of General Grant's drinking: "I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals."(source) I also discovered that Lincoln was very fond of apples. He was known to eat them throughout his day, and has even mentioned his love for it by saying "Apples agree with me.." (source) Apple cider was known to be popular for both drinking and as medicine. (source)



But enough history, let's get to the cocktail. The Old Abe is inspired by the Old-Fashioned, which is arguably the first cocktail in history. The Old-Fashioned is a little strong for me, so I wanted it to turn it into more of a fruity cocktail. I had made some mulled apple cider for brunch, and I thought it would be perfect to use in this recipe. There is still a good kick from the bourbon, a sweet touch and warm spice from the cider, and a fresh citrus flavor from the bitters. It feels very old school and glamorous, perfect for the red carpet.


Old Abe

Makes 2 cocktails

Ingredients:

1/4 cup bourbon (I used Jefferson's Kentucky Bourbon)
1/4 cup apple brandy (I used Calvados)
Few dashes of Orange Bitters (I used Bitter Truth)
1/4 cup mulled apple cider (I simmered store-bought fresh apple cider with these mulling spices and cooled it to room temperature before serving)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 sugar cubes
Cinnamon sticks, to garnish
Orange peel, to garnish

Directions

Place the sugar cubes at the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Add a few drops of orange bitters. Muddle until the sugar cubes are dissolved. You can add a bit of water to help you. Add the rest of the ingredients and few cubes of ice. Shake in a cocktail shaker. Strain, and serve. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a slice of orange peel.

No comments:

Post a Comment